Searching for advice on hiking the Overland Track in Tasmania?
Want good, simple tips from experienced bushwalker's on how to plan your Overland Track hike?
Are you having trouble organising the walk from Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair on the Overland Track?
Is coordinating the Overland Track booking, transport to Cradle Mountain, your flights and getting home again just too confusing and complicated?
Frank and Sue at Our Hiking Blog announce - "The Overland Track" e-Book updated for the 2009/10 season.
Yes, we walked the Track in September 09 and have updated the book for this hiking season.
Review: Frank & Sue have just released their downloadable eBook, 'Hiking the Overland Track'. I've had a read through it and it is an excellent resource for people who are looking to walk the Overland Track, and I highly recommend it particularly for people who are not experienced bushwalkers, or who are not familiar with Tasmania.
It includes a wide variety of topics to help people get organised for their Overland Track walk - Nik- Bushwalk Tasmania forum
Why write "the book"?
For several years we have been answering our readers questions about many aspects of "doing" the Overland Track. We felt there was a great opportunity to create a downloadable book covering all the different areas of planning and undertaking the walk that we have learnt on over the 12 Overland Tracks we have completed.
By purchasing the downloadable book, you can either print it or read it online via Adobe with it's great search facility.
In addition to all the topics you can read on Our Hiking Blog, we have added several thousand more words, graphics, tables, links and ideas to the downloadable version and packaged it into one document.
- The best walk in Australia — our #10 best trek in the World — is Tasmania’s Overland Track.
- John & Monica Chapman self-publish the best guidebook for the OT. (Chapman’s guidebooks are the best in the world, in fact.)
- But personally I prefer the just released Overland Track eBook (PDF format) by Frank & Sue Wall.
And DIRT CHEAP for 18,000+ words and heaps of photographs
This is exactly the kind of information I need when planning a major hike.Rick McCharles - besthike.com
Do you need to know:
- What hiking gear you will need?
- What food to take?
- How to organise your meals?
- How to get the start of the walk and home again?
- What are the best transport options?
- What first aid kit you need?
- Can you walk the Overland Track solo?
- How hard is the Overland Track?
- What is the best way to get to Cradle Mountain?
This sixty + pages Adobe PDF file with 18,000+ words and heaps of photographs is now available to download for A$14.50
- The full table of contents
- Sample sections from the book
- Some background on the book and us.
You are just required to provide your name and email address and the sample file will be emailed to you immediately.
The full Overland Track eBook contains several chapters such as:
- Planning your walking dates - juggling flights, booking and transport (including a tool showing how we work out all the option)
- What are the best transport options? Is the cheapest the best?
- Best Overland Track walking resource
- Menu and food planning (including a great tool to help make it easier)
- Clothing - what will I wear?
- How to save weight, your feet and your back OR what to chuck out before you leave.
In most sections of the eBook there are special tips that are highlighted, or bolded. These tips are drawn from our experience of many trips along the Overland Track and have made our life much easier and each trip a great success.
Here are a small sample:
Tip: If you are using public transport and want to complete the Overland Track in the cheapest and easiest manner – fly into Launceston and home from Hobart
TIP: We are prepared to pay the additional cost for this type of service. The Public transport option can be very time consuming
TIP: the trick we find here is to ensure you have measured portions for each day at probably 20% more than we would eat at home. Put them in a pile and count em off, 6 breakfasts, 6 bags.
TIP: Remember unless you plan to eat it, what you start with in your pack on the Overland Track, will still be on your back at the end
TIP: Even a cheap headlight is better than a torch. It leaves your hands free to cook or read or hike in the dark if you are really slow. You need something, there is no power or lighting on the Overland Track - yep - NONE (not even to charge your camera battery)
TIP: Take a waterproof jacket - No, NOT a poncho, no, not a spray jacket, a WATERPROOF coat - it rains (and snows, and sleets) a LOT in Tassie
Click here if you would like to purchase the Overland Track downloadable book.
NB: The Overland Track eBook is designed to use in conjunction with John Chapman's book Overland Track - which we believe is THE recommended guide for this fantastic world heritage hiking experience.
Yes, Chapman's book is THE one you should study from cover to cover BUT the Overland Track eBook adds value and is a bit of fun (we hope), for example.
- What is the best way to get to Cradle Mountain?
- A REALLY detailed gear list, including honest comments on why or why not you should take each piece of gear
- What to do if you meet a naked German whilst swimming in Lake Windemere! (depending on if you are male or female, and the swimmer is male or female, the answer is open......to.... your.....interpretation (or mood)........)
- What do you do if you see a tiger snake (hint, first step, stop walking)
Read the reviews of the book if you are still not sure - we think they are pretty good!
We are offering a 100% money back guarantee on the Overland Track eBook. Yes, if you don't find your A$14.50 was well spent, we will refund the whole amount. No hassles, just the cash back.
We are that confident it will help your planning and enhance your trip heaps! If you buy the Overland Track eBook and you think it is a heap of rubbish, immediately send us a grumpy or nice email and we refund the full amount into your account within 24 hours (unless we are away bushwalking, then we we do it on our return) Again, no hassles or question, just the cash back.
What is an eBook? Wikipedia have a definition of course: An e-book (for electronic book: also eBook) is the digital media equivalent of a conventional printed book. In the case of the Overland Track eBook - the file is an Adobe PDF document with the advantages of being able to read it on your computer or other electronic device or printing it out to read at your leisure.