We decided that because of the position of the car that we would not complete the whole walk to Princetown rather backtrack along Wreck Beach. Frank had brought Deb's CRV in along the 4WD track to near the Devils Kitchen campsite the evening before so we were able to load up all the packs, and while he did a short sharp rally trip in the car, the others were able to enjoy a last walk along the beach back to the Gables.
So following a really terrific walk and great company the GOW ended. A walk that is highly recommended to anyone with a spare 5 days. A couple of concluding points you may want to consider if you ever plan to do this walk.
- Water is usually available at each GOW campsite but we carried additional supplies, even though it was not hot. Most days we arrived at camp with empty bottles.
- In summer, not only would carrying additional water be essential, a careful eye for snakes would be important. It is very snaky country.
- We all thought that summer would'nt be the best time for the walk. Too hot, too dry, too many flies and as mentioned above , snakes.
- Many sections of the track were quite slippery and occassionally difficult. This is probably because the drought broke the day Helen and Deb commenced the walk.
- It is a great walk to drop in and out of, using a car shuffle. Overnight or weekend sections can easily be undertaken.
- Pickup and dropoffs can be arranged through Great Ocean Road Transport on (03) 52379278. Really nice bloke who's rates are pretty good. Saves a car shuffle.
- Some of the individual campsites needed some work. There were some great ones but some of them were a bit rough or on a big angle. Given that all the facilities were excellent and blended into the bush really well.
- We had both Optus and Telstra mobiles. The service was heaps better with Telstra but still patchy.
Related Posts on the Great Ocean Walk
Blanket Bay hikers shelter
Our Hiking Blog goes "lightweight" at Blanket Bay
Drinking water on the Great Ocean Walk
Great Ocean Walk - the start
Marengo to Blanket Bay
Blanket Bay to Cape Otway Lightstation
Lightstation to Aire River
Aire River to Joanna
Joanna to Ryans Den
Ryans Den to Devils Kitchen
Devils Kitchen to The Gables